Components of the Assurance Program
The InCommon Assurance Program consists of:
- Identity Assurance Assessment Framework [PDF],
providing background on the need for assurance and defines the Identity
assurance trust model, including a functional model for Identity Provider
Operators and a certification model.
- Identity Assurance Profiles [PDF],
describing sets of identity Provider Operator requirements (Bronze and
Silver) for registering individuals, issuing credentials, and managing
related identity management information. Profiles can include other
aspects of identity, too.
- Alternative Means, outlining comparable or superior methodologies for complying with the profiles. Alternative means are proposed by the community for review. Once approved, they are considered normative and can be used by other organizations.
- Assurance Addendum [PDF], outlining the legal representations and responsibilities of InCommon and Identity Providers certified under the
- Certification of Compliance, providing a way for those Identity Provider Operators that meet the requirements of an Identity Assurance Profile to be certified by InCommon. This thorough assessment process is
described more completely on the Join page
- InCommon Metadata, containing Identity Assurance Qualifiers for InCommon-certified Identity Providers.
- Program Oversight,
provided by the Assurance Advisory Committee, an
advisory body to the InCommon Steering
Committee. Identity Providers complete a certification process and pay an
annual fee (in addition to the existing InCommon participation fee).
Additional Documents and Resources
Practice and Community Guidance Contributions can be found on the Assurance wiki
Email list for webinar announcements, discussions, and call schedules. (Use the link, or send email to
email@example.com with the subject line: subscribe assurance)
Glossary of Assurance Terms
Overview of the assurance criteria for policies and identity management programs
Bronze and Silver logos for use by certified participants.
Deprecated IAP and IAAF documents (previous versions)
InCommon Federation Operating Policies and Practices [PDF]